Cirencester & Northleach

Cirencester & Northleach

Cirencester, known as "The Capital of the Cotswolds" was the second largest town in Britain during Roman times whilst Northleach was celebrated throughout Europe as a major centre for the Cotswold wool trade.

Cirencester & Northleach

Coach only

 

Cirencester, known as "The Capital of the Cotswolds" is situated in the county of Gloucestershire and was the second largest town in Britain during Roman times. Today the former Corinium Dobunnorum is home to more than 18,000 people and a service centre for the thousands more who live in surrounding villages. In later years it was a very prosperous medieval wool town.

 

Cirencester's market square is dominated by the cathedral-like  Parish Church of St. John Baptist (one of the largest in England). The large south porch with its impressive fan vaulting was built about 1490. The town contains many interesting buildings spanning several centuries. Cirencester's market town status was mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. Traders still set up their stalls every Monday and Friday and since 1999 the town has had its own farmers' market. Crafts and antiques markets are also regular attractions.

 

The first Agricultural College in the English speaking world was founded by Henry 4th Earl Bathurst who became founding president of the Royal College of Agriculture in Cirencester established to train young farmers in the best agricultural methods of the time and to lead the way with innovations.

 

Whether it's a visit to the Corinium Museum, Brewery Arts Centre, or the Roman Amphitheatre, Cirencester has plenty to offer. Cirencester is famous for its Roman history, so a visit to the Corinium Museum is recommended if you have an interest in this field. The award winning Corinium Museum is the must-see visitor attraction of the Cotswolds. Leave the 21st century behind you and discover the treasures of the Cotswolds as you explore its history at this multi award winning Museum. The Corinium Museum has one of the finest and most extensive Roman collections in the country. Corinium, Roman Cirencester, was the second largest Roman town outside London and the major Roman administration centre for south-western Britain.

 

St Mary's Abbey which was consecrated in 1176 in the presence of Henry II, remaining until the Dissolution in 1539 when the Abbey was completely demolished. The only remaining building of this period is the Norman Arch situated at the north-eastern corner of the grounds. A plaque was designed and installed by the Civic Society on the balustrade and portrays the site of the Abbey which is outlined with paving. The grounds, lake, wildfowl, trees and greenery for man impressive pastoral centrepiece, inviting restful contemplation of the general town scene. A portion of the ancient Roman Wall is also situated in the grounds. Its history and layout are discussed in the booklet The Corinium Trail - a guide to the surviving remains of the Roman town - available from the Corinium Museum, Tourist Information Centre and the local bookshop.

 

The Cotswold town of Northleach is located at an important crossroads, just off the roman road, the Fosse Way (A429) 10 miles north-east of Cirencester. Northleach was at one time a great market town, celebrated throughout Europe as a major centre for the Cotswold wool trade. The fifteenth-century church of St Peter and St Paul, paid for by the wealth wool merchants, was built with stone dug from the quarry in the town itself and what is now the Market Square.

 

Northleach Church of St. Peter & St. Paul is beautifully embellished with carved stonework and it contains the best of all Cotswold churches memorial brasses depicting its benefactors, some of whom are shown standing on the woolsacks and sheep that made them so rich. The church is one of the most beautiful of the Perpendicular ‘wool’ churches in the Cotswolds; its south porch has been called the most lovely in all England, with its tall pinnacles and statue-filled niches. One of the church's greatest glories is the giant east window which floods the church with light and also a generous "Cotswold window" over the chancel arch.

 

The modest size of the town of Northleach belies its former importance. The Abbey of Gloucester owned the area from AD 800, granting the town a charter in 1220 to hold a weekly market. The town was transformed by the wool trade and in 1340 to 1540 it flourished as the centre of a large sheep-rearing area.

Northleach has long been linked with transport and in about AD300 the Salt Way trade route came through the town, used for carrying salt by packhorse from salt mines at Droitwich to the River Thames at Lechlade and the on to London. During the age of coach travel it was a centre for changing horses and refreshing passengers on the London to Gloucester route.

 

Depart for home 17.00

Below is a list of pick-up points available on this tour.

Below is a list of pick-up points available on this tour.

Name Address Contact Details
Bridgwater Bridgwater Mount Street Bus Stop
Rear of Angel Place Shopping centre
Bristol Anchor Road East Anchor Road Opposite @Bristol
Eastbound Bus Stop
Bristol Tesco Tesco's Eastville Bus stop - Jct 2 of M32
(Tesco's Car park only has a 2 Hr. parking limit)
Burnham on Sea Burnham on Sea, Pier Street
Bus Stop The Old Pier Tavern
Clevedon Clevedon
First Choice Travel Agency
Gordano Gordano M5 Services CAR PARK
Highbridge Highbridge, Church Street Bus Stop
Near to Church
Taunton Taunton - Tower Street
Bus/Coach Station
Weston Borough Arms Borough Arms, Bus Shelter
after main entrance to old Clarks Factory
Weston-super-Mare Weston-super-Mare
Locking Road Car Park
Worle Bus Stop Worle Preanes Green, New Bristol Rd.
Summer Lane Bus Shelter
Worle - Homebase Worle - Homebase Bus Stop opposite Bridge Farm
New Bristol Road
From Price Book Now Call Back Telephone Favourites
31 Jul
2017
£18.00 Book Now Call Back Telephone Add

Keyword Search

Availability Search

Bakers Dolphin are accredited members of:

Registered in England No. 3635902.     © 2016 Bakers Dolphin. All rights reserved.